Q. What makes CHU special?
A. CHU offers the U.S. university experience within a multicultural international environment that’s small enough to provide individualized attention for each student.
Q. When does school start?
A. Colorado Heights University conducts classes in eight-week terms. Classes start six times a year: in January, March, May, July, September and October.
Q. What is the typical class size?
A. We aim to keep our class sizes small, with typically fewer than 20 students per class. This gives you the opportunity to interact with your instructors and get to know your classmates.
Q. Is extra help available for academic courses?
A. Tutoring is available through the Student Services offices. You’re encouraged to schedule a time to meet with a Student Services staff member to discuss your needs. We want you to succeed.
Q. Is your school accredited?
A. CHU is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools to award certificates, bachelor’s degrees and master’s degrees. ACICS is listed as a nationally recognized accrediting agency by the United States Department of Education and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). In addition, CHU is authorized by the Colorado Commission of Higher Education to operate in Colorado as a private college or university.
Q. Will I be able to work while attending CHU?
A. Students who are have F-1 status are eligible for CPT (Curricular Practical Training) and OPT (Optional Practical Training) if they meet certain criteria. The counseling staff at CHU can help students understand the requirements and complete the paperwork in order to qualify and obtain CPT and/or OPT positions.
Q. What are some of the home countries of current students?
A. Students come to CHU from countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America. We also have students who join us from right here in the United States. country_list_201410
Q. What are the most common languages spoken on campus?
A. While there are many languages spoken, and even more dialects, the primary languages spoken on campus are English, Spanish, Arabic and Russian. There are plenty of opportunities to learn about other cultures and to practice your English.
Q. What is the on-campus residential housing like?
A. The residence halls at CHU are affordable and fun. They’re within walking distance to all classrooms, the library and other campus resources. It’s also easy to walk off campus to many local shops and restaurants, and it’s close to public transportation.

International Student FAQs

Q. Will I fit in?
A. CHU is a very multi-cultural, multi-ethnic and multi-linguistic environment with students from over 40 countries so most students feel instantly comfortable in their new home away from home making new friends with common language, religion and culture frequently the very first day on campus. You are not alone because our staff both within admissions and other departments are also from a variety of countries and cultures and fully understand the questions you may have about entering a new environment in a new country and will assist you to make that transition as smooth and comfortable as possible.
Q. What if my English skills need improvement?
A. CHU offers a full one year Intensive English TOEFL® Preparation (ESL) program for any student regardless of his or her English skills. For students applying to complete a Bachelor of Arts program, CHU offers BRIDGE English classes to improve skills prior to beginning Bachelor courses if the student is accepted to the BA program.
Q. Where will I live and do I have to drive (even to and from the airport)?
A. CHU offers on-campus dormitories with single and double occupancy rooms less than 5 minutes’ walk to classrooms and the library with rates as low at $200 per month. In addition, there are many apartment complexes and rental homes either a short walk or public transit ride from the campus and CHU is located on a major bus route to get anywhere within the metro. Upon arrival, CHU staff will meet you and transport you from the Denver International Airport to the campus. Thus having a vehicle is not a requirement.
Q. What can I do for fun outside of studies?
A. Education is more than just your classroom experience. Our campus is located at the foot of the Rocky Mountains meaning an outdoor adventure with activities such as hiking, fishing, skiing and exploring is right in your new neighborhood. Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall each offer opportunities for outdoor recreation and enjoyment unrivaled in any other location. Even for those not athletically inclined, the vistas are awe-inspiring and the subjects of a variety of creative expression from paintings to poems and songs. We are also a short distance from 5 major league sports teams for year-round fan participation as well as museums, parks, galleries, and shopping to meet the recreation and entertainment needs of all students. All of this is in addition to many on-campus activities including clubs and sports and events offered by our Student Life and Residence Life departments.
Q. What financial support will I need?
A. All F-1 international students are required to show valid means of support in the form of a bank statement that is no older than 30 days. An I-20 will not be issued regardless of admissions without demonstrating financial sustainability. The amount of support required to be demonstrated varies by program.
Q. I plan to work to pay for my tuition, how do I make my case at the Embassy?
A. All F-1 international students must be able to show valid means of at least one year’s tuition, fees and living expenses to be accepted. Though some students may choose to work, no F-1 students are eligible to work in their first semester. In addition, many embassies do not look favorably upon students who state a need for employment to fund their education in the US.
Q. Can I work or have a job in addition to taking courses?
A. Student worker positions are available to students after the completion of one (1) semester and attaining a CHU GPA of 2.5. Positions can be applied for at any time during the semester when posted by a department needing assistance. Student worker opportunities vary and can include translation assistance, admissions support, facilities support, library assistance, etc. Position availability varies each semester so is not guaranteed. Students may also be eligible for CPT.
Q. Will CHU help me secure CPT and OPT positions?
A. Students who are have F-1 status are eligible for CPT (Curricular Practical Training) and OPT (Optional Practical Training) if they meet certain criteria. The counseling staff at CHU can help students understand the requirements and complete the paperwork in order to qualify and obtain CPT and/or OPT positions.
Q. What are the yearly fees for the BA program?
What are the yearly fees for the MBA program?”]A. Click for tuition and fees information for the IETP program, BA program and the MBA program. More information can be found in within the Tuition and Fees page of the admissions section of the website.
Q. Do I get my transcripts evaluated or can CHU do it?
A. College or High School transcripts must be provided to the university as part of the admissions requirements and must clearly state the minimum GPA and that a degree (or diploma) was awarded. These transcripts must be official and issued by the educational institution. If the transcript and/or coursework taken were not in English, the student is responsible for submitting to reputable organizations for translation. MBA applicants must submit transcripts of their bachelor’s program to a professional evaluation organization to determine that the degree is equivalent to a US bachelor’s degree. A CHU admissions staff member will be happy to assist in giving you the names and contacts at a variety of organizations that vary in cost and time required to translate and evaluate. That cost and responsibility lies with the student.
Q. I am completing my Bachelor’s program, can I apply for the MBA?
A. If your Bachelor’s degree program was for 3 years, an additional year of study is needed as US requires 12+4 years of schooling to enroll in Master’s level programs. If your Bachelor’s program was a 4 year program, you are eligible to apply for the MBA.
Q. How soon after receiving my application will the University inform me of acceptance?
A. Typically CHU will notify the student of acceptance and issue an I-20 within 5-7 business days of receipt of a complete application packet. Our intention is to review application materials and notify the applicant as quickly as possible.
Q. Does CHU work with international recruiters?
A. Colorado Heights University has established partnerships with several recruiting agencies throughout the world, in an effort to provide potential students with ease of access and information for the admissions and visa application process in their home country and in their home language. Each recruiter must meet high standards of knowledge about our processes and programs and the specific nuances of each country’s visa approval process. In addition, each must consistently demonstrate high quality interaction with students and the university and unquestioned ethics.If you are in contact with a recruiting agency in your country which claims affiliation with Colorado Heights University, please contact the Office of Admissions to confirm that they are an approved partner.
Q. I have been approached by an agent regarding CHU. Can I also talk directly to a University official?
A. Whether you are working with a recruiter or independently, you may always contact CHU directly if you have questions. If you have a professional relationship with a recruiter, we will respect that connection and do our very best to provide any answers to both you as the student and your recruiter to assure that recruiter is also informed and updated both for you and any other additional students who may have the same questions.
Absolutely not. No agency, company or group may make guarantees on behalf of the United States Government. Again, absolutely not. An agent cannot guarantee acceptance to any university. That agent should be informed of the necessary documents and should give you guidance to put together an acceptance packet that meets all the admission requirements for the program you have chosen. However, the I-20 is released when we accept you as a student and this decision is based on your grades and scores, not on cash payments.
Q. Can CHU help me assemble my visa application file?
A. Yes, CHU can help you assemble your materials and prepare for your VISA appointment with the embassy either directly or in working with your agent. We can provide guidance of the typical questions asked during the interview. Keep in mind the semester start dates in setting your embassy appointments. If the start date is close, you may ask the Embassy to expedite your application. They are not in control nor are they aware of class start dates or times needed for transport to the US and your interests and University deadlines are something they need to keep in mind. It is up to you to inform them appropriately.
Q. What is the best way to travel to Denver?
A. Denver is a major US city and has a very large international airport. Many airlines have direct connections to Denver from major cities in Europe and Asia. If a non-stop is not available directly from your departure city, choose flights that either connect from other major US cities such as New York or Washington DC or Chicago or via European ports such as London or Frankfurt. It will make it easier for immigration clearance.
Q. Will anyone receive me at the airport and bring me to the campus?
A. CHU does provide pickup and transportation from the Denver International Airport directly to the campus and assistance in moving your belongings into our dormitory at no charge to the student. Arrangements can be made by notifying the admissions officer that has assisted you in gaining acceptance. Notify the admissions department of your arrival time and flight information as soon as possible once arrangements are made and we will do as much as possible to make this transition seamless and comfortable and safe.
Q. I am a High School teacher or college professor interested in further studies. Is there an age limit to enrollment?
A. CHU has no maximum age limit for students. We have students from age 17 to 84 as our objective is to provide the highest quality multi-cultural Olympic village educational experience to all dedicated learners regardless of age, background, culture, religion, etc.